Visualization in R with ggplot2
This course is ideal for statistical analysts who use R and need to create or modify graphs. In this online course, participants will learn how to use the ggplot2 Project to make, format, label, and adjust graphs using R.
- Create basic plots (scatterplots, histograms, and barcharts)
- Add extra variables with aesthetics (like color, shape, and size) or faceting
- Display data in other forms (densityplots, boxplots, etc.) using geoms
- Overcoming overplotting with drawing scatterplots of large datasets
- Add group-wise summaries and transformations to your plots
- Add labels, legends, and axes
Who Should Take This Course
Statistical analysts who use R and need to create or modify graphs.
Introduction to ggplot2
- How to create basic plots (scatterplots, histograms, and barcharts) using qplot()
- Setting vs. mapping
- How to add extra variables with aesthetics (like color, shape, and size) or faceting
Digging Deeper into ggplot2
- The ggplot system: geoms, stats, and more
- How to display data in other forms (densityplots, boxplots, etc.) using geoms
- Techniques for overcoming overplotting with drawing scatterplots of large datasets
Data Manipulation for Plotting, dplyr
- Group-wise summaries and transformations to add extra information to your plots
- How to visualize time series
Polishing Your Plots
- Tweaking your plots for maximum presentation impact
- Introduction to color theory
- Labels, legends, and axes
- Using and adjusting the plot themes
While ggplot2 is a mini-language specifically tailored for producing graphics, you will need some familiarity with data handling in R before taking this course.
The Statistics.com courses have helped me a lot, pushing me to the limit and making me learn much more than I expected I could. The knowledge I gained I could immediately leverage in my job … then eventually led to landing a job in my dream company – Amazon.
This program has been a life and work game changer for me. Within 2 weeks of taking this class, I was able to produce far more than I ever had before.
The material covered in the Analytics for Data Science Certificate will be indispensable in my work. I can’t wait to take other courses. Great work!
I learned more in the past 6 weeks than I did taking a full semester of statistics in college, and 10 weeks of statistics in graduate school. Seriously.
This is the best online course I have ever taken. Very well prepared. Covers a lot of real-life problems. Good job, thank you very much!
The more courses I take at Statistics.com, the more appreciation I have for the smart approach, quality of instructors, assistants, admin and program. Well done!
This course greatly benefited me because I am interested in working in AI. It has given me solid foundational knowledge…After completing this last course, I feel I have gained valuable skills that will enhance my employability in Data Science, opening up diverse career opportunities.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is your satisfaction guarantee and how does it work?
Can I transfer or withdraw from a course?
Who are the instructors at Statistics.com?
Visit our knowledge base and learn more.
Homework in this course consists of guided exercises in writing code for producing graphs.
In addition to assigned readings, this course also has discussion tasks, and supplemental readings available online.
The instructor has prepared materials for use in the course. There is also a suggested text for review and reference – ggplot2: Elegant Graphics for Data Analysis by Hadley Wickham. The text may be purchased here.
Participants should be familiar with and have access to R, and should download and install the ggplot2 Project before the course starts.
Literacy, Accessibility, and Dyslexia
At Statistics.com, we aim to provide a learning environment suitable for everyone. To help you get the most out of your learning experience, we have researched and tested several assistance tools. For students with dyslexia, colorblindness, or reading difficulties, we recommend the following web browser add-ons and extensions:
- Color Enhancer (for colorblindness)
- HelperBird (for colorblindness, dyslexia, and reading difficulties)
- Mobile Dyslexic
- Color Vision Simulation (native accessibility feature)
- Other native accessibility features instructions