The market for data science and analytics professionals is growing rapidly, comprised of several strands:
- Major internet companies built on data (Google, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.)
- Startups seeking to build data-oriented products and services
- Established traditional companies with extensive customer data
- Government and quasi-government organizations with a public "open-data" mission
There are a variety of job titles and functions in this area; some require significant programming skill (to code the web-based data products and services), others more on the analytics side (product R&D, prototyping, project management, sales, etc.).
Here are some recent articles:
- The 6 Hottest Jobs in IT (CIO)
- It's a Smart World (The Economist)
- Big data: The next frontier for innovation, competition, and productivity (McKinsey & Company)
- Data Scientist: The Sexist Job of the 21st Century (Harvard Business Review)
Data on the Job Market
Check out Indeed.com's jobtrends tool to see what tools are in demand, and what the trends are. Here's a search for jobs requiring R modeling and SAS modeling.
Here are the results of a search for jobs in two main categories: Data science/analytics and computer languages and software packages. The results were as follows:
Want to be notified of future courses?Yes