Predictive Analytics - a 1 week preview
In this 1 week preview of “Predictive Analytics 1 - Machine Learning Tools,” you will be introduced to the basic concepts in predictive analytics, also called predictive modeling, the most prevalent form of data mining.
The session is also intended as a preview and illustration of how courses operate at The Institute for Statistics Education.
WEEK 1: Preparation, Classification and Prediction
- What is supervised learning
- Data partitioning and holdout samples
- Choosing variables (features)
- Handling missing data
- Visualization and exploration
- K-Nearest-Neighbors (KNN)
- Measuring distance
- Choosing k
- Generating classifications and predictions
Homework in this course consists of short answer problems, and includes exercises that require the use of computer software.
This course also has supplemental readings available online.
Predictive Analytics Preview
Marketing and IT managers, financial analysts and risk managers, accountants, data analysts, data scientists, forecasters, and anyone considering taking a course at Statistics.com who wants to see how our courses operate. This course is especially useful if you want to understand what predictive modeling might do for your organization.
You should be familiar with introductory statistics. Try these self tests to check your knowledge.
This course takes place online at the Institute for 1 weeks. During each course week, you participate at times of your own choosing - there are no set times when you must be online. Course participants will be given access to a private discussion board. In class discussions led by the instructor, you can post questions, seek clarification, and interact with your fellow students and the instructor.
At the beginning of each week, you receive the relevant material, in addition to answers to exercises from the previous session. During the week, you are expected to go over the course materials, work through exercises, and submit answers. Discussion among participants is encouraged. The instructor will provide answers and comments, and at the end of the week, you will receive individual feedback on your homework answers.
About 15 hours per week, at times of your choosing.
- No credit - You may be interested only in learning the material presented, and not be concerned with grades or a record of completion.
- Certificate - You may be enrolled in PASS (Programs in Analytics and Statistical Studies) that requires demonstration of proficiency in the subject, in which case your work will be assessed for a grade.
- CEUs and/or proof of completion - You may require a "Record of Course Completion," along with professional development credit in the form of Continuing Education Units (CEU's). For those successfully completing the course, CEU's and a record of course completion will be issued by The Institute, upon request.
- Digital Badge - Courses evaluated by the American Council on Education have a digital badge available for successful completion of the course.
- Other options - Statistics.com Specializations, INFORMS CAP recognition, and academic (college) credit are available for some Statistics.com courses
The required text for this course is Data Mining for Business Analytics: Concepts, Techniques, and Applications in Microsoft Office Excel with XLMiner, 3rd Edition, by Shmueli, Patel and Bruce. Selections from this text will be provided in the one week session.
This 1 week preview is a hands-on session, and participants will apply data mining algorithms to real data. The course is built around XLMiner, which is available:
- For Windows versions of Excel, or
- Over the web
Course participants will have access to a no-cost license for XLMiner.
Predictive Analytics Preview
Course Fee: $0 (free with code)
Do you meet course prerequisites? What about book & software? (Click here to learn more)
We have flexible policies to transfer to another course, or withdraw if necessary (modest fee applies)
Group rates: Click here to get information on group rates.
First time student or academic? Click here for an introductory offer on select courses. Academic affiliation? You may be eligible for a discount at checkout.
This course is free with your code (see syllabus tab)
Add $50 service fee if you require a prior invoice, or if you need to submit a purchase order or voucher, pay by wire transfer or EFT, or refund and reprocess a prior payment. Please use this printed registration form, for these and other special orders.
Courses may fill up at any time and registrations are processed in the order in which they are received. Your registration will be confirmed for the first available course date, unless you specify otherwise.
The Institute for Statistics Education is certified to operate by the State Council of Higher Education in Virginia (SCHEV).
Want to be notified of future courses?Yes