Dr. Iain Pardoe teaches online and writes courses for Thompson Rivers University Open Learning. He also does statistical consulting and was formerly an Associate Professor of Decision Sciences at the University of Oregon Lundquist College of Business. His research specialty is in the area of multivariate modeling. He has numerous journal publications (including a noted paper in the Journal of the Royal Statistical Society on predicting Academy Award winners).
Leading Academic and Industry Experts
Dr. Iain Pardoe
Statistics.com Instructor Since
- BSc Economics and Statistics University of Birmingham, UK
- MSc Statistics University of Minnesota
- PhD Statistics University of Minnesota
Areas of Expertise
- Bayesian analysis
- Multilevel modeling
- Graphical methods
- Diagnostics and validation
- Choice modeling
- Author, Applied Regression Modeling, 2nd ed (Wiley, 2012)
- Co-author, “Which Nominee Seems Most Likely to Win the Academy Award and Why?”, The Social Science of the Cinema. New York: Oxford University Press, 2012.
- Co-author, “Applying discrete choice models to predict Academy Award winners” Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, 2008.
- Co-author, “Average predictive comparisons for models with nonlinearity, interactions, and variance components” Sociological Methodology, 2007
- Co-author, “Graphical tools for quadratic discriminant analysis” Technometrics, 2007.
- Co-author, “Bayesian measures of explained variance and pooling in multilevel (hierarchical) models” Technometrics, 2006.
- Co-author, “Sentencing convicted felons in the United States: a Bayesian analysis using multilevel covariates (with discussion)” Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, 2006.
- Author, “A Bayesian sampling approach to regression model checking” Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics, 2001.
- Outstanding Service Award, 2010, Thompson Rivers University Open Learning
- Research Excellence Award, 2006-7, University of Oregon Lundquist College of Business