In this week’s brief, we feature a data-detective story: The Case of the Faulty Generator. Our spotlight is on our Analytics for Data Science certificate program*.
See you in class!
*Earn a Bachelor’s Degree in Data Science and Analytics concurrently at Thomas Edison State University.
Founder, Author, and Senior Scientist
Sira-Kvina Hydro Power – The Case of the Faulty Generator
In early 2020, a major power generator at Sira-Kvina Kraftselskap, a large producer of hydroelectric power in Norway, malfunctioned. The company went through prescribed diagnostics, but those checklists only touched the surface of potentially useful minute-by-minute data from hundreds […]
Word of the Week
In generalized linear models, a link function maps a nonlinear relationship to a linear one so that a linear model can be fit (and then mapped to the original form). For example, in logistic regression, we want to find the probability of success: P(Y = 1). This cannot be a linear function of any predictors (probabilities are bounded at 0 and 1), but the log of the odds of success, log(odds), can. After log(odds) is fit to a linear model, then it can be mapped back to probabilities. Log(odds) is the link function for logistic regression.
This is your ticket into the world of data science and analytics. In this 10-course program, you’ll learn everything from forecasting and data visualization to network analysis, risk simulation, and a deep dive in predictive analytics.
- Choose and fit time-series forecasting models
- Construct predictive models using a variety of statistical and machine learning algorithms, and assess their performance
- Identify customer segments and generate purchase recommendations
- Solve constrained optimization problems using linear programming and other techniques
- Use interactive graphical techniques to visualize and analyze data
- Conduct Monte Carlo simulation to account for risk
- Specify and solve queuing problems
- Analyze location and other spatial data (elective)
- Apply the key concepts in natural language processing (elective)
A number of case-study projects are included and you can assemble a portfolio of your work. Intro stats is a prerequisite, but if you need it we’ll provide that course free of charge. We offer rolling admissions year-round – read more here.
See you in class!
*The courses required in this certificate program can contribute towards the Bachelor of Science in Data Science at Thomas Edison State University (see below).
Bachelor of Science in Data Science and Analytics (BS DSA) at Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
The program can be completed entirely online using a combination of Thomas Edison State University online courses, exams and other credit-earning options and online courses in data science and analytics provided by Statistics.com.
Earning this degree
- General Education requirements: Earned via TESU online courses, exams and other credit-earning options
- Electives: Earned via TESU online courses, exams and other credit-earning options
- Area of Study requirements: 12 courses earned via Statistics.com online courses (transferred via ACE)
Digital badges provide employers and peers concrete evidence of what you have learned and the skills required to earn your credential. Each badge’s digital image holds verified metadata describing your qualifications and the mastery required to earn them.
Contact Us To Learn More
If you have any questions on our courses, certificates, and degree programs and how they can apply to you, your work, and to your career, please get in touch. We’re here to help you succeed.